Building a Moodle course
To help instructors who are increasingly turning to Moodle for online and remote teaching, we have created an LA&PS Moodle template.
LA&PS Moodle Template
The LA&PS Moodle template is an optional template for your consideration and use. It standardizes the top section of the Moodle so that students encountering your course for the first time will be guided through important information about how you will run your course. The template can be added to empty Moodle shells or Moodle courses with pre-existing content. While optional, it is strongly recommended for colleagues who have little to no experience with using Moodle. There are two sets of instructions in the template: the copy written in bold font and in square brackets will guide you to include information on your Moodle (e.g., by inserting information from your course outline, or deleting pre-written copy as relevant); all other copy is directed towards students.
For experienced Moodle users, the template is still useful because it includes not only pre-written copy, but also pre-loaded activities in a clear and clean design. The LA&PS course policies are pre-loaded and offered as a printable book to students. In addition to reading the policies, students will need to complete a pledge of academic integrity before unlocking the course syllabus. Once the template has been installed in your own Moodle course, you – as the instructor – can edit these elements as you see fit in the following ways:
- You can remove or add activities in the top section.
- You can modify or rewrite the pre-written copy.
- You can move parts of the top section to the topic/weekly sections to reduce user scrolling.
- You can remove and/or modify the pre-loaded LA&PS course policies (e.g., if you will not be using Zoom in your course, you can remove the policy).
- You can remove the course syllabus page. Please note that if you remove this page, it will remove the pre-loaded restrictions that were tied to it.
Moodle Template Instructions
To download the Moodle template, please click here. The template will be downloaded to your computer. It is an mbz file, which means that you cannot install it on your computer. It needs to be restored to a Moodle course. To restore it to your Moodle course on the eClass server, please follow the step-by-step instructions, which can be downloaded here.
Once the Moodle template is installed in your own course, your instructor role comes with editing privileges, allowing you to edit the template to fit your course.
Locating your FW2020 Moodle course
To locate your FW2020 courses, please complete the following steps.
- Log in to eClass. You will see your dashboard.
- Scroll to the Course Overview section of your dashboard.
- Click the Future from the drop-down menu to see your FW2020 courses.